The Arthur fandom's secret base
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Odd Couples

2 posters

Go down

The Odd Couples Empty The Odd Couples

Post by TheUltimateCombo Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:01 pm

Don't you feel sometimes that nobody shares your ship? Like seriously, no one.

Feel free to share your Arthur odd couples. All pairings are allowed, sans illegal ones(AdultxMinor, OwnerxPet, etc)

As for me, I have a couple of odd couples that you probably know of by now:

Private Detective (Buster Baxter x Fern Walters).

And surprisingly, I was not the only one to see the connection, I believe TheUnknownAuthor over on Fanfiction.net told me they share the same pairing. In fact, if I had a choice to make any of my personal ships canon, it'd have to be this one followed by the one below.

Now most people see Buster as gay, and Fern as anti-social, or gay herself, and well, to each their own I suppose, but I like the notion of the two detectives that get on each other's nerves because they actually like each other. Buster trying to find out what was wrong with Fern in that recent depression episode was actually kind of cute. Besides, Fern's story in Ferkenstein's Monster sounds like the kind of stuff that would win Buster over. Besides, their attitudes are just different enough to balance each other out. One's shy and serious, the other's a buffoon, but is a lovable idiot.

I don't know, it's a pairing with as much in-show support as certain others... (coughArthurcoughSueEllencoughcough)
But I still like it. In fact, my current favorite duo to use in stories is Buster and Fern, as seen in their current "spotlight" series, Elwood City:Criminal Intent.

But moving on, another pairing I like that people rarely seem to consider is Alan "The Brain" Powers and Lydia Fox, the wheelchair girl.

Now why is Brain such a stickler for the rules? It's probably because he just needs to find balance. Lydia's introduction was memorable to me. Her first episode is up there with Cousin Mo's and Killer's. She likes math, she's smart, and yet she can hold an edge of brightness as well. She's funny too, and this is ignoring the fact that she overcomes what could become a major downer: paralysis. Of course, most people remember her because of the wheelchair, but she expands so much more beyond that. And the cherry on top of this character? She made Brain, Brain of all people, loosen up. I've never seen Brain enjoy anything so much before or since that episode. That right there is the perfect match. Thanks goes out to the fan who sent the idea of Lydia in.

I wouldn't be opposed to seeing her as a regular, and she's already moving up tiers by her second episode that aired recently. Seriously, this girl made Brain a likable character.

Anyway, that's just me, what about you? Get the discussion rolling by sharing your odd couple right here!

TheUltimateCombo
Admin

https://arthurauthors.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

The Odd Couples Empty Re: The Odd Couples

Post by ChrysW Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:20 pm

First off, I almost feel like Buster x Fern is canon now because of you:D I know I've dabbled in it a lot more than I thought I would, but I credit you with coming up with it. As for Brain x Lydia, I think that if the show actually did more with Lydia, we'd get to know her better. As of this moment, they're "setting up those two," quoted as we've discussed this before (feature episode does not equal future pairing). So yeah, I don't count that as weird. They've "done that in the show."

I feel like I'm always playing with pairings that people aren't necessarily thinking about, namely because I don't usually like pairings so I don't feel obligated to stick with just one.

But the one that seems to have raised the most eyebrows is Buster x Kate. I had to age them up to get it to work, but I think it's such a cute pairing. I think a lot of people like it too, once they get over the age factor. I want to play more with that tabooness, you know, while following the rules;)

Other pairings that I've dabbled in that come up but rarely:
Arthur x Marina
Brain x Sue Ellen

And that's all I can think of right now^^; I'll add more later when I'm less foggy.

ChrysW

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum